SC - question about tomorrow's meeting 3/17

Robyn Gessner robyn999 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 16 17:34:31 PST 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <LrdRas at aol.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 1:42 PM
Subject: SC - I. alba-OOP for Europe

> In a message dated 3/16/01 10:46:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> jugglethis at yahoo.com writes:
>
> << I recently planted a "Mysterious Moon Plant" (a plant
>  which forms large trumpet flowers which open at
>  night), and it is doing quite well.  >>
>
> If the plant is indeed I. alba then it is a species of morning glory and
> grows into an immense vine. It also forms a tuber , which in mild
climates,
> will resprout and grow the next year. (Several vines, including sweet
potato
> and jacama) have this characteristic. I plant I. alba each year in my
climate
> zone mixed with heavenly blue morning glories giving the trellis a carpet
of
> blue flowers during the day followed with the large white trumpets of the
> moon flower in the evening. Magnificent plant, IMO.

I also have Moonflower vines mixed in with my morning glories.  I love the
fragrance and it attracts the neatest moths to my porch.  We call them
"humming moths" because they are about the size of small humming birds, fly
like humming birds, and hover over the blossoms to suck the nectar.  I've
never noticed tubers, though, but it usually re-seeds itself every year.

Caitlin nicFhionghuin