SC - RE: THE ALIEN PLANT

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 19:49:43 PST 2001

As an addendum:  freezing walnuts will also help prevent the accumulation of mycotoxic fungus.  It is not common, but walnuts, even commercially grown, are subject to fungal infection, and storing them frozen will help keep it from increasing if you happen to get a bad batch.

That this still happens was something I discovered quite graphically when I came down with mycotoxicosis not once, but twice.  I made Thanksgiving stuffing with walnuts and came down with some very strange tremorgenic symptoms that sent me to the emergency room.  They thought I was having a panic attack (which I have NEVER had), and I didn't make the connection until I used the same batch to make a walnut-ricotta pasta sauce (very tasty) and banana bread several weeks later, and got the same symptoms times two (my lord did, too, but he is twice my weight, he didn't eat as much, and he got it far milder).  It was pretty frightening.

Just goes to show the medical professionals don't know everything...

Broinnfhionn

Robbin L. Long, PhD
Plant Physiologist
USDA-ARS, SRRC