SC - Elderflower discussion

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Mar 24 15:58:27 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/24/01 4:09:02 PM, upsxdls_osu at ionet.net writes:

<< What happens if you underbid the costs of the feast?  Who pays the overage?

The cook does... It's their fault. It keeps us honest, and we often come in
underbudget with active planning.

Does your group cover the cost of the non-paying feasters (you know Royalty
and their entourage)?  If royalty is coming, they are free. You feed the
ENTIRE group on the money alotted to the feast.

Do you plan to feed the servers and kitchen help for free, or do you
charge? Here, we charge. We do allow a 1/2 price for workers sometimes.

What about meals while you're cooking feast? Eat while I am cooking?? NO.
Generally, the sampling and tasting  keeps me from eating entirely. I am not
adverse to gifts though. Liquids and dessert type foods are often gifted to
the kitchen staff.

How do you plan for price fluctuations in ingredient costs? I lock in my
price. I bid it at  the highest one  I saw. I scan at least three sources
before I decide on a menu.

Are cleaning supplies part of the cost process, or is that handled by
someone else?If it is used in the kitchen, it is part of my bid. If it is
used in the hall....it is the stewards cost.

Is the feast expected to "make money" for the event?  (i.e. budget set at
$5 per head, but charged $7.50 for feast) We don't actively seek to make
money at feast. The event cost takes care of that. Total event site  cost $12
(includes lunch and dinner) $8 allotted to food

Andrea