SC - Bidding for Feast

Diana tantra at optonline.net
Sun Mar 25 05:53:36 PST 2001

At 07:13 AM 3/25/01 EST, you wrote:
>I've never found price "fluctuations" to be that much of a problem, nothing
>has ever jumped in price so quickly that we couldn't either handle it or
make
>substitutions.
I guess I'm talking about wishing I could have purchased the meat when it
was on sale, thus being able to put in a lower bid. But, I think the
winning menu was better than mine. I just wonder if the price she bid is
really enough to put it on. And if it is, I want to know where she's
getting her supplies! Or maybe her portions are smaller than what I was
using. I used "Food for Fifty" to determine portion sizes and develop
amounts.  Then, I went shopping at the cheapest place in town to figure out
how much I'd have to charge.

What's the etiquette here?  Do you think it would be presumptious to ask
her? I don't know her personally, but I do have her email address.  I will
be volunteering to help in the kitchen, because I'm still in the learning
process.

>I think we need a word other than profit anyway, since that word pushes so
>many people's buttons. I mean, we NEED operating funds, especially here,
some
>sites charge outrageous deposits, but people apparently think we're supposed
>to cut costs to the bones and just deal with them out of pocket I suppose.
>Having done that years ago in science fiction fandom I decline the honor of
>financing the event out of pocket so everybody gets even cheaper eats
>though... oops... turned into a rant, sorry....<G>

I can't afford to finance a feast.  And, I can't afford to pay for
unexpected costs. That's part of the reason I'm putting questions out to
this group. I'll be talking to the autocrat and others who have put on
feasts in our area to find out more specifics about how things are done
around here.

Liadan