SC - Book Query - Food and Drink in Medieval Poland

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 27 21:50:12 PST 2001

Ilaria asked:
> I've come across listings for "Food and Drink in Medieval Poland" by Maria
> Dembinska in the Jessica's Biscuit catalog ($23.96) and through AddALL.com
> (less that $20 with a coupon) but neither listing mentioned if there are
> original recipes/sources in the book. Can anyone shed some light? Is it worth
> purchasing?

As Jadwiga, and probably others, have commented, there are no original,
period recipes in this book. However, it is a good book especially the
sections on the history of Polish cuisine and whom it influenaced and
which cultures and constraints effected it.

You can find a fair amount of more information on this book in this file
in the FOOD-BY-REGION section of the Florilegium:
fd-Poland-msg     (28K)  8/25/00    Food of period Poland. Referances.

I think the prices you are quoting are sale prices. I paid the regular
price. I would recommend getting this book if you are at all interested
in Eastern Europe or Eastern Europe cuisine.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net