SC - the menu (meat for Lent) was Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 27 23:22:12 PST 2001

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
> I'm doing experiments in edible egg decor after an inspirational pysanky class.  Ukranian pysanky egg dyes are not safe to eat, but did the process work with non-toxic dyes?  I've been painting designs on eggs in wax, soaking them in black tea, then removing the wax from the outsides, holding it up next to a candle and wiping off the melted wax, leaving white designs on the shells.  So labor-intensive, so impressive.  If there's anybody you need to impress, go for it!
>
> Does anyone know anything about period egg dyes? Certain period dyes (like
> onionskin) would be edible.

There is this file in the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium:
pysanky-eggs-msg  (18K)  9/13/00    Painted and dyed eggs of eastern Europe.

We've also had a fair amount of discussion on Pysanky eggs and other
egg dyeing on this list. I have a fair amount of additional info from
those conversations that has not made it's way into the Florilegium yet.
Primarily because I haven't decided whether to add it to this file or
start another on dyeing eggs in general.

This file in the FOOD section might also have some info on dyeing eggs:
eggs-msg         (125K)  7/26/00    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net