SC - poison in peach pits

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 07:17:54 PST 2001

>The times we have done candied ginger it turned dark as well, a dark brown.

>Tasty however.  The commercial product I have bought is a lot whiter, don't

I buy a commercial candied ginger that is dark.  It's cut in cubes instead of
thin slices like ordinary ginger.  I find that the flavor is much, much richer
than the normal stuff.  I would imagine that they do treat the normal light-colored
ginger with something like the sulfites that they use to treat dried fruit.
 In which case, such treatment would not be period.  I would imagine the only
treatments available in period would be acidic juices, like we use to treat
sliced apples.  If that doesn't do the job, I'd just leave 'em dark.  Doesn't
hurt.

- -Magdalena