SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #3044

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 16:30:15 PST 2001

Margarite & any others who may be interested.

I checked with the OSU meat lab.  They will be butchering the Spring crop of
lambs beginning April 20th, with processed meat available later that week.  They
are happy to custom wrap your order. The fella I talked to told me he couldn't
give me a total price, but estimates a cost of $2 per pound carcass weight. So,
if you buy a whole lamb, processed, it will weigh between 55 and 70 pounds for a
cost of $110 to $140 and receive 35 to 50 pounds of meat. Final cost per pound
comes to $3.14.

http://www.okstate.edu/ag/fapc/

Click on Cowboy Meats.

I discussed a stuffed suckling pig dish I found in one of the German cookbooks.
I called my local butcher.  The salesperson said they keep pig "roasters" on
hand for luaus.  They currently have several on hand, the smallest being 32#.
The price with bones in is $1.49 per pound (8% sales tax) or $47.68 + tax. There
is an additional charge for boning.

Ralph's Packing, Perkins, OK (405)-547-2464

Cowboy meats is open limited hours - if anyone wants anything, I'll be glad to
pick it up and put it in my freezer for you (you will have to make payment
arrangements, I can't cover, sorry)

Question for the list:  If the pig roaster weights 32#, how much usable meat is
there?  They leave the skin on and head, etc. I thought this would be a cool
high table dish, with someone trained to carve, carving & serving at table.

Whaddaya think?

Liadan