SC - Local meat prices - OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 28 22:03:15 PST 2001

Magdalena commented:
> >The times we have done candied ginger it turned dark as well, a dark brown.
> >Tasty however.  The commercial product I have bought is a lot whiter, don't
>
> I buy a commercial candied ginger that is dark.  It's cut in cubes instead of
> thin slices like ordinary ginger.  I find that the flavor is much, much richer
> than the normal stuff.  I would imagine that they do treat the normal light-colored
> ginger with something like the sulfites that they use to treat dried fruit.

>  In which case, such treatment would not be period.

If the stuff you are describing is what I've had from time to time, I
wouldn't call it period either. Rather than being slices of ginger being
dipped or soaked in sugar solution/syrup, it is powdered/ground ginger
mixed with a sugar syrup and then solidified. I find there is a fair
amount of texture differance between the pieces of candied ginger and
the cubes.

I also noticed a substatial color variance within the chunks of candied
ginger from lighter to darker pieces whereas the ginger cubes were pretty
uniformly the same color.

I've also bought cubes of oranges which also turned out to be processed
cubes of orange juice rather than sugar peel dipped in syrup. Again,
probably much cheaper/easier to make but not the same as the candied
orange peel.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net