SC - poison in peach pits

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 28 22:29:41 PST 2001

Liadan asked:
> Question for the list:  If the pig roaster weights 32#, how much usable meat is
> there?  They leave the skin on and head, etc. I thought this would be a cool
> high table dish, with someone trained to carve, carving & serving at table.
>
> Whaddaya think?

I've not got a very good idea how big this 32# pig would be. But if
someone is interested in this, I have a few files in the Florilegium
that might prove helpful. I've always thought such thing were neat, but
I've also heard disaster stories, so I've tried to save some of the best
ideas and recommendations that I've come across.

In the FOOD section:
Warners-art       (32K)  6/29/98    An article on disguised food.
                                       by Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf.
  (A number of good sotelitie/warner ideas, including those where you
cut the piggy in half and cut another animal in half and reattach each
half to the other animal)

whole-pig-msg     (25K)  9/29/00    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
  (I keep thinking of the whole pigs cooks as whole pigs as being larger,
but some of the ideas in this file might be useful, even with a compact
version of piggy)

In the FEASTS section:
Whole-Pig-Fst-art (36K)  9/22/98    Feast menu and recipes incl. a
roasted pig.

If someone has done this or is going to do this, please take some
pictures. I'd love to add them to the Florilegium. As I'm unlikely to
ever be sitting at the headtable when this is done, this is probably
the only way I'll ever see such a thing. (My eyesight is too poor to
be able to see such an item if it just parades through the hall I am
in. :-( )
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net