SC - CANDYING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 28 23:00:35 PST 2001

for me it would have to be Caprial Pence (as in "Cooking with Caprial"). A
Northwest girl, she approaches food with a very realistic and fresh
outlook. Nothing is carved in stone, and every thing she does is infinately
mutable. One recipe will have a jillion variations, and excessively fussy
stuff is eliminated unless the result is really worth the effort.

And of course, Bruce Naftali of Le Gourmande here in Seattle. he taught me
how to make stock and real lamb stew and duck confit and that if you do it
right, the perfect wine WILL really make a dish sing. All while sitting
perched on a tiny chair in his kitchen, frantically trying to take notes as
he cooks six things at a time....

Claudine, Jacques Pepins daughter, however, will always have a fond spot in
my heart as she makes all the mistakes *I* would make, cooking with her dad
:).

- --Anne-Marie