SC - Jewish dietary stuff

Elaine Sartor morofbonwicke at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 06:48:10 PST 2001

> Normally, I don't consider myself a picky eater-- but if someone substitutes
ground
> poultry for meat in a recipe, I'll go for the PBJ. When I was a teen, ground
turkey was
> very cheap. We were poor and we replaced beef with turkey in our diet-- until
one night I
> found it wouldn't stay down. Ever since then, I can't handle non-preserved
processed
> poultry. Put enough nitrates in it and I'm fine, serve it whole and I'm fine.
*shrug*
> Peculiar sensitivities, unfortunately. I just have to watch out for health
fanatics who
> try to switch it without telling people.

I don't try to switch without saying something, usually. When I invite someone
over to eat, I describe what I'm planning to cook. "Hey, I have a big pot of
beef stew on the burner - wanna help me eat it? I expect the person to come back
with - you didn't put xxx in it did you? If it's something like carrots, I'll
say yes, but you can pick them out if you want.  If it's an allergy, they can
then decline, and I remember next time they can't eat xxx. I have a friend who
is allergic to walnuts, but not pecans.  So, If I'm having them over and use
nuts in a recipe, I make sure it's pecans.

Liadan