SC - Re: Modern Chefs (OOP)

sdrake steldr at home.net
Thu Mar 29 07:09:27 PST 2001

Greetings,
  I have been involved in the Sca for not quite a year
   (and am not certain the persona name I am using is
    permanant),and have been on this list foralmost a
    week.My persona as it stands right now is half
    jewish,because of the fact that off-on research
    into the jewish roots of Christianity over the
last
    3 years before I came into the sca had given me
    such a respect for the the jews stead fastness in
    the face of hell on earth.I came out of my lurking
    because I had run into this info two years ago(and

    now can not find my documentation).If it is not
    compeatly accurate somebody please correct me.
- --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Morgan said about her upcoming feast:
> > They are moist enough without the butter, if
> necessary.  I figured it was easier to leave out the
> butter, and if anybody REALLY wants, and it does not
> interfere with dietary, they can stir it in.  Just
> having it on the table could be bad for the really
> strict Jews, but I am trying to have a table that
> Jews, Christians, and All The Rest can sit at
> together.<
>
> Huh? I can understand why you might not be allowed
> to eat something, but
> why would having butter on the table, if it is not
> eaten by the Jew
> be a problem for them?
>
> And, to me, this seems to conflict with the idea
> that you can have
> someone else turn on the lights, so long as you
> don't flip the switch.
> If it's okay to be present, even cause the switch to
> be flipped by
> allowing someone else flip the switch, why is it not
> okay to have butter
> on the table if you don't partake of it?

   The restriction against fat maybe?

> technically speaking
> all.  The
> you, of course.
> >
> > I am aware of that -- which is why I have at least
> one "Pesach goy" on my kitchen staff.  <S>  As I
> said, I am fairly secularized, but I do try to be
> cautious.  And I'll note that in addition to the
> bread, I'm Ashkenazic, which means I also cannot
> cook the Grene Peysen or A Cooked Dish of Lentils.
>
> What is "chametz"? And if you don't eat it, or lick
> your fingers or
> some such, why can't you prepare it?

  Chametz is nothing more than levening,whitch is
   nothing more than yeast,baking soda,baking powder,

   and who knows what else.
> lenten
> medieval times.
> >
> > Bingo.  Or as close as a Jew can figure one out.
> Pretty much, I figured if it doesn't grow in the
> garden, you cannot eat it during Lent -- right?
> Nothing that had a mother, could have had a mother,
> came from a mother, or might be related to a mother.
>
> Okay, without getting into a bunch of religous
> detail, what does this
> mother stuff have to do with passover or Jewish food
> restrictions?
>
> Stefan, whose rather perplezed by all this.

 In case you did not notice Morgan was tring to give
  both the jews and the cathloics a fare chance to
  eat the feast,if they are so inclined.Lent is the
  first weekend of April this year,and Easter(whitch
  is asociated with lent somehow)is the second weekend
  of April.
> --
> THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
> Kingdom of Ansteorra
> Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas
> stefan at texas.net
> **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
> http://www.florilegium.org ****

  hope that clears up some confusion