SC - TV Chef Heros

Phil Anderson phil at dev.spis.co.nz
Thu Mar 29 17:15:42 PST 2001

>Drakey wrote:
>
>> Umm, are you talking about the Seafood Chef, Rick Stein?
>
>Oops, good thing I had not yet written to our Food Network about Steinman
then.

>> He's very popular in Lochac (Australia) and my and I are hoping to attend a
>> light supper and lecture he is giving in July.  His TV shows (more than 1
>> season worth) is currently showing on the ABC on Wednesday nights.
>>
>> Why is it that here in OZ I watch a heap of cooking shows with famous chefs
>> (Gordon Ramsay, Rick Stein, Delia Smith, Nick Nairn, Jamie Oliver, Jennifer
>> Patterson & Clarissa ???)
>
>That would be the late Clarissa Dixon-Wright.  Jennifer has given up TV in
favor of
>running the food operation at Glascow University and writing cookbooks solo.
>thought briefly about applying for Clarissa's job, but I didn't know how to
drive a
>motorbike.

I think it's the other way around, Jennifer passed away from Lung Cancer.
Thank's for the info about Clarissa.  I'm not surprised she gave 'telly' away
as she always did look uncomfortable in front of the camera.

>>> and they are all bloody English.  Are there any
>> American cooks doing good things / writing books / doing shows?
>
>Lots, they're obviously being overlooked by Oz networks.  Maybe they think
we're
>all too stupid to figure out each other's measurements?

Never thought of that (the measurements thing).  Hmmm...

>Big man on TV right now is Emeril Lagasse, a New Orleans restauranteur from
Rhode
>Island in the Northeast, of Portuguese descent.  Very charismatic, has a rabid
>following.   Catch phrases and keywords:  "Bam!" when adding chili powder or
any
>final ingredient.  "Pork Fat Rules!"  "Make it happy" or just "Happy happy".
erves what he gets.

Hmmm. Gotta love pork fat...

Cheers,

Drakey.