SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:47:03 PST 2001

>Would a person with a
>Jewish persona want to eat a Lenten-type feast, because it follows the
>pattern
>of a purely Christian prototype?
>
>Alban

If your persona is jewish, you should research just what such folks did in
the situation, I'm sure there are references to  whether  a jewish person
would eat at a Christian fasting meal (Lenten or any other)  if the
household they are living/visiting is serving such.   Or for that matter,
would they eat a Christian Feastday meal?  Without research, I say it would
depend on their hosts importance, their own importance and the availablity
of other options.  A jewish persona would want to react within persona, with
good manners, respect for the host, and depending on what other options are
available, I see three options:

1) Leave to eat at at the nearest Jewish household of choice ( = go off
board)

2) Choose your dishes carefully from what is served so as not to offend your
own requirements ( = ditto, and maybe bring some food of your own to fill
out the meal)

3) Ignore your own dietary needs, eat what is served. ( = ditto)

Keep in mind that an interest in a feast of Medieval Jewish foods of some
particular time and place is just as valid as an interest in a Lenten feast.
  (and I beleive has been discussed in the past).  Around here, it's not the
religous signifigance of the meal that is of importance, it's the cooking of
documentable food.  A person with a Jewish persona playing at exiting  prior
to feast or being choosy at feast, as appropriate, could be learning moment
for many at the feast.

Lady Bonne