SC - Non-member submission - Re:Lenten feast for non-christian characters

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 2 21:36:01 PST 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> > Isn't Lent a Catholic institution???

< Well, it was certainly an institution of the 'universal church' when there was one, and the church at Roman/Anjou, the Church at Byzantium and the Church in Greece and Moscow all did the Lenten thing; so did the Lutherans and the Church of England, though I don't know about the
Calvinists.>

Yep.  Catholic roots ('One, holy, cathloic, and apostolic...' was from the First Council of Nicea long before the Great Schism at the end of 11th century, I do believe, ergo Nicean Creed.  It gave a universal theme to the practiced faith/religion as desired by Emporer Contantine <?>).  Each division from the original branch of the christian family tree developed a slightly different path of observation of this season, but all have carried it to modern times.

niccolo difrancesco