SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Ted Eisenstein Alban at delphi.com
Sat Mar 3 09:02:55 PST 2001

>I'm a little confused about your definition fo an eruv.  I understand
>that it is an area that extends the home, but I thought it was to allow
>people to do things that they would not normally be allowed to do
>outside their home on Sabbath, like carry their car keys and drivers
>license so they can drive to the synagogue.  Of course, this confused me
>too, because I didn't think they were allowed to carry things like that
>even in their homes; But, that was the definition that was given in the
>newspaper when they announced the eruv newly defined by power lines in
>Northeast Philly a year back.
Like I said, it extends one's home. ("so, one can create a very large "home"
by encircling a large area with an uninterrupted solid border - like string.")
As long as there's an uninterrupted, easily defined something-that-looks-
like-a-boundary, it's usually okay. Power lines, a fence, something.
Mind you, there are some very strictly Orthodox Jews who don't carry anything
at all on the Sabbath - but I doubt they show up very often at our events, since we do stuff
on the Sabbath. It's special occasions like Pennsic that such things occur - they
can travel during the week, they can come with a full set of kosher cookware,
they can do everything required by the Law, but it's at Pennsic.

Alban