SC - Cheesemaking question

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 5 19:30:18 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 5 Mar 01, , that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Bartholomew Dowe wrote "A dairie Booke for good huswiues", [Very
> profitable and pleasaunt for the making and keeping of white meates.],
> pub. by Thomas Hacket, London, 1588. I found it in facsimile form as an
> addendum to a reprint of an English translation of a roughly
> contemporary Italian book on household management, whose title I have
> unfortunately lost.

Having Dowe's first name made things much easier.  It is bound together
with an English translation of "The housholders philosophie" by Torquato
Tasso.  I have located a used book dealer who is listed as having a
reasonably-priced copy, and am sending an email to see if it available.

The listing from the Library of Congress catalog is:
Personal Name: Tasso, Torquato, 1544-1595.
Main Title: The householders philosophie ; anexed, A dairie booke /
Torquato Tasso.
Uniform Title: [Padre famiglia. English] Published/Created: Amsterdam :
Theatrum Orbis Terrarum ; Norwood, N.J. : W. J. Johnson, 1975.
Related Names: Dowe, Bartholomew. Dairie booke for good huswiues.
1975.
Related Titles: Householders philosophie. Description: 27 [i.e. 69], [20]
p. ; 22 cm. ISBN: 9022107655 Notes: Translation of Il padre famiglia.
Photoreprint ed.
Includes original t.p.: The housholders philosophie : wherein is perfectly
and profitably described, the true oeconomia and forme of housekeeping
... First written in Italian by ... Torquato Tasso, and now translated by T.
K. Whereunto is anexed A dairie booke for all good huswiues. At
London, printed by F. C. for Thomas Hacket ... 1588.
The 2d work is by B. Dowe.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann