SC - OP: Chicken soup request

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 09:15:13 PST 2001

Elizabeth wanted:

> >I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for good Jewish
> >Chicken Soup.  As my family is in the middle of a flu
> >epidemic I thought I'd cook some up but alas don't
> >have a recipe.
>
> Magdelena quipped:  Hrm... I know a few Chicken Soup recipes, but I don't know about any
> that specifically
> call for Jewish Chickens.  How do you tell if they're Jewish?  Little yarmulkes
> instead of combs?

Ha ha.  There is such a thing as Kosher chicken, you know.

Back at the soup.  The way my mother makes it:

1 chicken [most grandmothers include the feet, your market may not have them]
2 onions, sliced.  Include the golden skins, they provide color.
2 large carrots, sliced into wheels
heart and leaves of one bunch of celery [serve the rest as celery sticks, eat your
vegetables!]
1 bunch of parsley or a parsley root
1 or more cloves of garlic [that's my father's contribution, he's a True Believer in the
Healing Power of Garlic.  I just like it.]

Put the ingredients in a large pot, fill with water and boil until none of the ingredients
has any fight left in them.  Remove chicken and vegs.  Reduce broth by about one third.
Shred chicken and return to pot with a few token bits of the other vegetables just for
color.

This will need salt to taste.  Does it cure what ails you?  Well, it couldn't hurt [unless
you are a chicken].  Serve it in mugs, you shouldn't spill soup in bed.  A little rice or
some noodles would not hurt anyone.

Selene, born and raised a Jewish American Princess
the SCA titles I've earned on my own