SC - OP: Chicken soup request

Kathleen Hogan kitchenwytch at home.com
Wed Mar 7 20:25:10 PST 2001

> Good morning one and all.
> I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for good Jewish
> Chicken Soup.  As my family is in the middle of a flu
> epidemic I thought I'd cook some up but alas don't
> have a recipe.

It's not really much of a recipe, but here is how I make chicken soup when
we are sick:

1 stewing chicken (best if you can get one with the feet on)
2 onions
2 lg carrots (washed but not peeled)
3 stalks celery
6-12 lg cloves garlic (the more the better if you're sick)
Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)
6 chicken bullion cubes

Cut up all the vegetables and put in a pot with the chicken.  Add enough
water to cover the chicken.  Add the bullion.  Peel the garlic and add to
the pot.  Bundle up the herbs with a cotton string and toss it in too.  Cook
slowly over medium heat for 2-3 hours or until the meat falls off the bones,
adding water as necessary to maintain the level.  Let cool about 30 minutes
and pour through a strainer into a large bowl.  Set the broth in the fridge
to separate off the fat.  Bone the chicken and throw out the bones, the
mushy veggies, and the herb bundle (I keep the garlic and mash it well and
stir it back in).  Scrape the layer of fat off the broth and add the
chicken. Put it all back in the soup pot.  If you want to add veggies to the
soup, do so now.  Heat until the veggies are cooked and the soup is hot.
Serve

Caitlin nicFhionghuin