SC - Early British food

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Mar 13 02:30:52 PST 2001

At 19:25 -0800 2001-03-12, Chris Stanifer wrote:

> And who said British food is bland?  The Britons have
> always had a fine body of culinary work.

One of the memorable meals of my life was a very simple one.

It was in a pub in the Lake District of England.  They offered
'lamb steak'.  It was a gronking huge piece about six inches
across and nearly an inch and a half thick.  I didn't know lambs
came that big!  It was broiled to perfection and tasted divine,
with a texture to die for.

The potato-and-two-vegs that came with it were not quite in the
same class, but they weren't bad either.  The peas were fresh!

And there was homemade mint sauce, the real stuff with fresh
mint and malt vinegar.

The meal was great, the service unfortunately very close to
unfriendly.

£3.75, "The Bridge Bar", Skelwith Bridge, 1983.

Thorvald