SC - OT: Anthropology-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 19:13:01 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/15/01 9:47:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
HICKS_M at casa.gov.au writes:

<< The most infamous case is that of Margaret Mead and the Samoans >>

This is actually NOT a good example at all. Mead studied the Samoans BEFORE
thier culture was influenced by Christianity. The person who supposedly
'refuted' her research studied them way after Christian influences had
destroyed their original culture and well  before they realized that they
could speak as freely as they did with Mead. I would venture to say that the
latter person's research is 'flawed' and not Mead's. I am always amazed when
I hear her research was flawed when, indeed, it is later researchers that
have the flawed data.

Ras