SC - re: Workshop (long)

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:17:29 PST 2001

>Does anyone have any books or articles that they can recommend which are
>good on these topics - especially the religious restrictions topic?
>('Lainie?) Only in English please (dangling appropriate foreign language
>texts in front of me is merely cruelty disguised as helpfulness ;-). MTIA.
A really good book (IMHO) on European food culture (not just Middle Ages) is
"The Culture of Food" by Massimo Montanari.  He touches on the impact of
famines and prosperity on social stratification, on the impact of Roman vs.
barbarian cultural models of consumption, and on the social implications of
humoral theory.  It's a whacking good read.  I don't have my copy with me
right now; I can get publication info to the list on Monday.

Vicente