SC - Odd Book

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Mar 19 20:17:16 PST 2001

Went by my favorite used book shop the other day and found a rather odd
book, Columbus Menu; Italian Cuisine after the First Voyage of Chistopher
Colmbus" by Stefano Milioni, Istituyo Italiano per il Commercio Estero,
Italian Trade Commission.

Its chapters are short histories of the tomato, the potato, corn (Maize),
Beans and Green Beans, squashes, sweet and hot peppers, the turkey and
cacao.   Nice general historical notes, most of the historical recipes are
out of period though.  There is one Italian recipe for turkey from
Bartolomeo Scappi, 1570 quoted in translation.  It contains a description of
the "rooster of India"  which clearly by its description identifies the bird
as being a turkey.  As the book does not have a bibliography can anyone tell
me anything about the source?

Daniel Raoul