SC - angelica as tincture or cordial

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 21 20:20:02 PST 2001

I received this inquiry yesterday. I pointed her to the Angelica-msg
file in the Florilegium (as well as the fd-Iceland-msg file) and she
gave me permission to forward her message to this list. I thought one
of you might be able to help or if not, that one of you on one of the
brewing lists could ask there.

Please remember she is not on this list, so any reply to this list should
also be sent to her at: cjohnson2 at vtown.com.au

Thanks,
  Stefan

> Subject:  angelica as tincture or cordial
> Date:  Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:42:56 +1100
> From: "CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON" <cjohnson2 at vtown.com.au>
> To:  <stefan at florilegium.org>
>
> Hi, Stefan!  I found your site while looking for medieval or
> 16-17th-century recipes for angelica tinctured in brandy (or whatever
> alcohol comes handy), for use as an appetite-restorer, cordial,
> stomachic, etc. Probably they would include some other herbs to counter
> the angelica root's bitterness, plus a little honey or sugar. If
> anybody out there is still listening I'd love to hear from them on
> this - especially if anyone has traditional Icelandic or Baltic recipes.
> Kate Johnson.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net