SC - Anthropology book on cannibalism

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Mar 26 09:07:38 PST 2001

>I've found the book that examines cannibalism in anthropology. It
>was NOT the title in my earlier message. It is:
>
>The Man-Eating Myth: Anthropology & Anthropophagy
>W. Arens
>Oxford Paperbacks, Oxford University Press
>1979
>ISBN 0 19-502793-0

I have read and enjoyed it. I think the author convincingly argues
that the idea that lots of primitive societies routinely engaged in
non-emergency cannibalism is evidence, not of the behavior of
primitives but of the credulity of anthropologists. On the other
hand, there was one fairly extensive body of testimony on cannibalism
(on Fiji, I think) which he didn't really rebut. And I gather there
has been one first hand report subsequent to his book of ceremonial
cannibalism somewhere, as well as evidence (whether now conclusive
I'm not sure) of a disease spread via cannibalism in Papua New Guinea.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/