SC - Bidding for Feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 26 22:33:54 PST 2001

Bear replied to Liadan with:
> > I was thinking having it spiral sliced lengthwise, so it will
> > be a flat piece.
> > Then putting on the dressing and rolling it up like a
> > jellyroll, tying and
> > baking.  The slices would then contain both meat and
> > dressing.  I've seen this
> > done with flat cuts of beef and it is impressive.
>
> Rouladen.  I occasionally do rinder rouladen (beef rolls) with thin filets.
> IIRC, there are a couple of recipes for beef rolls from within period, but I
> don't remember any for pork.

This was also my thought. I don't know why they wouldn't have done a
similar dish with pork, except that the beef was most likely tougher
and this rolled meat method may have been done to use thinner pieces
of meat which would presumably then be more tender.

Perhaps the information in this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium might be of interest:
meat-rolled-msg   (11K)  6/ 9/00    Period dishes of meat rolled with a filling.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net