SC - Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 11:27:49 PST 2001

Wow, nice menu!  Just a couple of notes about Passover though.  I ran a science fiction convention hospitality suite during Passover once and the Jewish fans really appreciated the Kosher munchies.

Since I see you are going for authenticity, I won't even suggest margarine for the table or the Buttered Rootes.  Schmaltz maybe?  Rendered chicken fat is in Platina, IIRC, one of the first things actually, as a side note to the part about rendering pork fat.

In the Passover menu I see:
<<Livyre Puddings (chicken liver pate) – chicken liver, crumbs, eggs, fat, currants>>
Do a good turn and make sure these are matzo crumbs please?

There is vinegar in a couple of the meat dishes.  Uh-Oh, aged fermented substance and therefore not permitted.   There are Kosher vinegars available, made with a rapid distillation process, please use them if you can. Some cooking oils are forbidden.  Watch the grape juice.  Anybody who is REALLY strict about Pesach will probably not risk a SCA feast, but any effort you make will surely be appreciated.  Here is a URL with short guide Pesach food rules from Temple Sinai in Middletown, New York:  <http://uscj.org/metny/middletown/pesach.htm

I'm doing experiments in edible egg decor after an inspirational pysanky class.  Ukranian pysanky egg dyes are not safe to eat, but did the process work with non-toxic dyes?  I've been painting designs on eggs in wax, soaking them in black tea, then removing the wax from the outsides, holding it up next to a candle and wiping off the melted wax, leaving white designs on the shells.  So labor-intensive, so impressive.  If there's anybody you need to impress, go for it!

Yours in Service,
Selene

Dame Selene Colfox
OP, OLC, OHA, ODC, SR etc.