SC - the menu (meat for Lent) was Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 13:32:06 PST 2001

Bonne asked:

> The only thing that bothers me is that those sticking closely to the
lenton
> feast don't get a lump o'protein anywhere.  sure, I know that they don't
> need it nutriionally at that meal--there are bean dishes and they can get
> protein at another meal.  But could you slip a cheese or egg based dish
into
> course 1 or 3, or a fish dish?  Canned fish would do and, Bear, I think,
> said Wal-Mart in your area has frozen herring.  Some sort of pie or other
> made dish.

Um, the incomplete proteins add up to a complete protein.  People get
protein from the lentils, peas, nuts, and can combine with the bread or
matzoh for additional aminos.  Plus there *are* eggs on the table in the
beginning -- didn't you see that portion of the menu?

My understanding of Lent is "no dairy," which is why I didn't include some
dishes that usually appear on my menus such as Tarte of Spinnage or Macrows.

> Then again, you are in the middle of the continent where people 'don't eat
> fish' so not bothering may be best.  You are experienced enough to know.

I have not done a feast since moving to Ansteorra, but have helped.  And
yes, fish is not something you get much of in this landlocked portion of the
world -- even if available, it tends to be expensive.  (Where I grew up
eating fish, frozen herring is considered "bait".)  Bear has done a feast
where people ate fish, but I am more concerned about cost than I am adding
it to the menu.  And I don't know what the kitchen will support about
cooking; I really dislike it when a strong dish scents the hall, and most of
the fish dishes I like (except a couple with salmon) can do that if the hall
has to be closed due to weather.

Selene commented:

> Wow, nice menu!  Just a couple of notes about Passover though.
>  I ran a science fiction convention hospitality suite during Passover
> once and the Jewish fans really appreciated the Kosher munchies.

I'm Jewish -- I'm used to adapting what I am given during feasts during
Passover.

> Since I see you are going for authenticity, I won't even suggest
> margarine for the table or the Buttered Rootes.  Schmaltz maybe?

The butter is for the bread, for those who Do Not Observe.  My understanding
is that we are not limited to good observant Jews and Christians in the SCA,
but also have all kinds of infidels and unbelievers and even some Norse and
Normans and other questionable folk.  <s>  You don't put schmaltz on matzoh;
it's a cooking fat, like oil or lard.  It's not considered a
butter-replacement.  Grebenes might be, but they rarely make it out of the
kitchen.  <s>

> In the Passover menu I see:
> <<Livyre Puddings (chicken liver pate) - chicken liver, crumbs, eggs, fat,
currants>>
> Do a good turn and make sure these are matzo crumbs please?

DUH!!!

(Sorry, as I said, I *am* Jewish, and certainly know that part.  I realize
you cannot tell from my SCA name.)

> There is vinegar in a couple of the meat dishes.  Uh-Oh,
> aged fermented substance and therefore not permitted.

WRONG - as you noted, there are Kosher versions available.  Mostly, a
non-grain vinegar such as apple cider vinegar, is OK.  (Wine vinegars have
the problem of yeast being used somewhere in the processing.  Believe me, I
took such things into account when planning the menu!

>>> Watch the grape juice.

Kosher for Pesach -- no sweat.  It is really common this type of year
because so many people drink it at Seder, if you don't feel up to four full
cups of wine (required in the service).  They even do varietals.  If it's
cheap enough, we can LOOK like we're having wine, at a dry site.

>>>  Anybody who is REALLY strict about Pesach will
>>> probably not risk a SCA feast, but any effort you make
>>> will surely be appreciated.

Actually, most of the really strict would not risk eating from a non-Kosher
kitchen.  I know it is probably full of chametz, especially with the lentils
and peas and bread elsewhere in the meal.  Koshering a kitchen is a royal
pain I'm not willing to invest in just for a one-off feast.  But I am trying
to make foods that I can eat during the event, and decided to add the
schtick about the dual meal after Lent was an issue for some things we did
at Gulf Wars.

                                    ---= Morgan