SC - the menu (meat for Lent) was Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 14:17:38 PST 2001

Morgan Cain wrote:
Selene commented:

> > Wow, nice menu!  Just a couple of notes about Passover though.
> >  I ran a science fiction convention hospitality suite during Passover
> > once and the Jewish fans really appreciated the Kosher munchies.
>
> I'm Jewish -- I'm used to adapting what I am given during feasts during
> Passover.

My ancestry and upbringing was Jewish as well.  It all started when some very
conservative Jews on a convention committee plaitively wished aloud for
something they could eat at the con suite... and I went a little overboard.  So
you should eat and be happy.

> > Since I see you are going for authenticity, I won't even suggest
> > margarine for the table or the Buttered Rootes.  Schmaltz maybe?
>
> The butter is for the bread, for those who Do Not Observe.  My understanding
> is that we are not limited to good observant Jews and Christians in the SCA,
> but also have all kinds of infidels and unbelievers and even some Norse and
> Normans and other questionable folk.  <s>  You don't put schmaltz on matzoh;
> it's a cooking fat, like oil or lard.  It's not considered a
> butter-replacement.  Grebenes might be, but they rarely make it out of the
> kitchen.  <s>

I knew that already, I was speaking of margarine for the roots.  I've seen
schmaltz served as a spread at a fleschig table, odd though that seems.  Maybe a
regional thing?

> > In the Passover menu I see:
> > <<Livyre Puddings (chicken liver pate) - chicken liver, crumbs, eggs, fat,
> currants>>
> > Do a good turn and make sure these are matzo crumbs please?
>
> DUH!!!
>
> (Sorry, as I said, I *am* Jewish, and certainly know that part.  I realize
> you cannot tell from my SCA name.)

Correct, you cannot tell from your SCA name.  I did not know you were Jewish.
Some people  might unthinkingly use plain crumbs and then remember later.  The
"Duh" was unnecessary.

> > There is vinegar in a couple of the meat dishes.  Uh-Oh,
> > aged fermented substance and therefore not permitted.
>
> WRONG - as you noted, there are Kosher versions available.  Mostly, a
> non-grain vinegar such as apple cider vinegar, is OK.  (Wine vinegars have
> the problem of yeast being used somewhere in the processing.  Believe me, I
> took such things into account when planning the menu!

> Kosher for Pesach -- no sweat.  It is really common this type of year
> because so many people drink it at Seder, if you don't feel up to four full
> cups of wine (required in the service).  They even do varietals.  If it's
> cheap enough, we can LOOK like we're having wine, at a dry site.

Kosher products are not necessarily cheap though.  It appears there are budget
issues, and you might opt not to buy any expensive Kosher products if you don't
have to, like grape juice for everybody.

> Actually, most of the really strict would not risk eating from a non-Kosher
> kitchen.  I know it is probably full of chametz, especially with the lentils
> and peas and bread elsewhere in the meal.  Koshering a kitchen is a royal
> pain I'm not willing to invest in just for a one-off feast.  But I am trying
> to make foods that I can eat during the event, and decided to add the
> schtick about the dual meal after Lent was an issue for some things we did
> at Gulf Wars.
>
>                                     ---= Morgan

Not to put too fine a point on it, but technically speaking you probably
shouldn't be handling chametz at all.  The extent of your religious observance
is up to you, of course.

Not too many people actually gave a flying fig about keeping pisci-vegetarian
[is that a word?  Is now] the last few times I've cooked for SCA during Lent.
One time, I had one of our local "Saint" types write out an Indulgence, which
she illuminated as well.  What a saint, indeed!

Selene