SC - the menu was Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Tue Mar 27 14:18:12 PST 2001

On  Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:42:27 -0800
 "Bonne of Traquair" <oftraquair at hotmail.com> wrote:

The only thing that bothers me is that those sticking closely to the lenton
feast don't get a lump o'protein anywhere.  sure, I know that they don't
need it nutriionally at that meal--there are bean dishes and they can get
protein at another meal.  But could you slip a cheese or egg based dish into
course 1 or 3, or a fish dish?  Canned fish would do and, Bear, I think,
said Wal-Mart in your area has frozen herring.  Some sort of pie or other
made dish.

Then again, you are in the middle of the continent where people 'don't eat
fish' so not bothering may be best.  You are experienced enough to know.

Bonne

Uhhmmm, If a person is trying to follow the medieval lenten fast - they
would not have had egg or dairy.  And, I think that Morgan was trying to
recreate a lenten version that would have been served in medieval times.

The almond milk in the first course, the lentils in the second course, and
various nuts in the third course actually meet a person's protein requirements
without resorting to a fish dish.

Kateryn
who tried following the medieval lenten dietary restrictions for about 2 & 1 / 2 weeks
this year.  Giving up the meat was easy.  The dairy and eggs were much much harder.