SC - lunch for the food crew

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 27 21:42:22 PST 2001

Liadan commented:
> I know it seemed I centered on the cost idea.  But I'm on a really strict
> budget, and can't afford to underbid, or even volunteer to cook if I'm
> expected to cover meals or snacks for the kitchen help. I am trying to get
> a feel for what is expected of a head cook (or whatever title you prefer).

While it is nice for the headcook to provide lunch or munchies for the
crew, it is not something expected, as far as I know. It does have some
nice advantages in that it makes the crew feel appreciated, can avoid the
disruption of the entire crew or parts taking off for lunch, can keep cooks
who forget to eat (I'm including the headcook here) from causing problems
later when they crash and can build a sense of camaraderie. And I like
the idea of using special treats to entice folks to come in and volunteer
for a chore or two.

However, nothing says this has to be provided by the headcook
personally.
Others can provide and organise this. Perhaps some folks who would like to
organise a small part of things but don't want to do, or feel capable of
doing, a while feast. Liadan, I would recommend making some inquiries
locally. Particularly if this were spread among several people I don't
think this would be too bad. Or do it somewhat pot luck style and have
several of your feast assistants bring in something they can share.

I do not think such things should come out of event or other SCA funds.

Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net