SC - Re: sca-cooks Dutch Portugese Sephardic Haroset

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 06:16:46 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 28 Mar 01, , that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Wow! All your TI's are in one room? At one time mine were. Maybe they
> will be again someday....

Mine are in one closet.  Not in order, mind you, but in one closet.
And since no one else has dug it out yet, here's the recipe, as
quoted and redacted in the TI article by Eleazar Ha-Levi.  It's from a
1654 Haggadah, published in Italy, but written in Spanish.  I have
not transcribed the entire article.

- - - - - begin quoted material - - -

"Take apples or pears, cooked in water, hazelnuts or almonds,
shelled chestnuts or walnuts, figs or raisins.  And after cooking,
grind them thoroughly and dissolve in the strongest wine vinegar
that can be found.  Then mix in a bit of brick dust, in memory of the
bricks which our father made in Egypt.  For eating, a little
cinnamon powder is sprinkled above.  Those who wish to add other
fruits and spices into the concoction may do so."

I tried this last year for my own Seder using the recipe given below.
 My one big change was to substitute brown sugar for the brick
dust.  (Anyone who's ever tried to break apart a blcok of brown
sugar after it has been exposed to the air should agree to the
similarity between it and a brick.)"

1 medium apple and 1 medium pear
1 ounce chopped walnuts
1 ounce chopped almonds
2 ounces raisins
1-2 ounces vinegar
2 tsps brown sugar
cinnamon

Peel fruit and cut into small pieces.  Combine with all other
ingredients, except cinnamon, and blend/chop for about 15
seconds.  (You want a coarse chop, not a puree.)  Serve with the
cinnamon and allow each guest to season to his or her own taste.
Note: if you wish to mix cinnamon with other ingredients, I estimate
that one teaspoon, at most should be sufficient.

- - - -  end quoted material - - -

Looks good.  Maybe I'll try this one.  Right now, I'm trying to decide
what to bake for Passover.  My aunt is having 20 people at her
Seder....

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann