SC - Re: Bidding on a Feast-Part 2

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 17:33:30 PST 2001

> Have the rest of you experienced
> anything like I have with
> people not eating different foods?

Oh yes. OH yes. And it's so annoying.

I remember, as a child I'd eat almost anything. My
aunts were all amazed because I jumped on the platter
of shrimps. The waitress in a restaurant was shocked
when my parents ordered frog legs for me (A child that
age is really going to eat THAT?)

My parents will eat about anything, and taught me to
do the same. My mom is afraid of raw oysters, but
since I told her they're good I think she'd be ready
to taste them now :-) The only trouble I have is with
very salty or spicy foods, because I'm not used to
them.

And once at my cousin's place they ate chicken wings.
When I asked what it was because I had never eaten any
before, my aunt's reply was "You never tasted that? Do
you want something else?" No wonder her children are
so picky!! She was so shocked when I casually picked
one and took a bite!!

The funny thing is when we go to the insectarium here
in Montreal, they have this special week every year
where you can go and eat bugs. Crickets, scorpions,
ants, larvae (of I don't remember which bug), all
cooked in different manners. It actually tastes pretty
good! (especially scorpion). There are always people
staring at you in horror when you decide to take a
bite! I know that example is a *little* extreme, and
the first time you do it it's pretty scary. But it's
worth it.

I also have a friend who takes about 15 pills of
supplements every morning. BUT he's very very picky. I
went to the restaurant with him once. Took him forever
to choose on the menu. And he didn't eat his
vegetables. Now I don't want to judge, but... if he's
so concerned with having the right minerals and
vitamins and etc in his body, he should at least eat
his salad!!!

I think people are afraid of what they don't know, and
never learned that it doesn't matter if what they try
tastes good or not, since they can just spit it out in
the worst case. The thing I HATE is when someone tells
me "Oh I don't like that" and whey you ask "Have you
actually tasted some before" they anser no... And I
find that, very often, picky eaters are raised by
picky parents. I'm just happy it is not my case :-)