SC - chefs & sex appeal!

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Mar 28 22:17:44 PST 2001

>Drake wrote:
>
>>Why is it that here in OZ I watch a heap of cooking shows with famous
>>chefs(Gordon Ramsay, Rick Stein, Delia Smith, Nick Nairn, Jamie Oliver,
>>JenniferPatterson & Clarissa ???) and they are all bloody English.  Are
>>there any American cooks doing good things / writing books / doing shows?
>snip ...
>>While I'm on it, what celebrity chefs are your heroes and why?
>Well, I love to watch Antonio Caluccio. He may be based in London, but I'd
>hardly call him one of the TV Brit Pack. Like Nick Nairn, like the premise
>of Jamie but one CAN have too much of a good thing. Don't have cable, so
>haven't seen much of some of the others who are around.

Antonio's not too bad. To digress, I have Elizabeth David's Italian Cookbook.
Absolutely fantastic.  A must have for the well read cook.

Yeah, I have heard some of my friends drooling over Nick Nairn (although some
just want him for the accent) and Jamie Oliver.

>>Delia Smith   - Total Babe. Great bod, well spoken, great cook. Nuff said.
>Hmmmmmm.  Drake, while I love the implication that "great bod, well spoken,
>great cook", is a vital part of total babe, my mind just boggles at the idea
>of "babe" and "delia" in the same sentence. She's so, um, mumsy. I thought
>Nigella Lawson was supposed to be the current culinary incarnation of
>babe-ness. Domestic goddess and all that ...

Mumsy...Mumsy... Humph! I'm not talking to you anymore.  I'm upset ":)
To think about it, I think it's Delia's accent that does it for me...

Ooo, I'd forgot about Nigella.  Yup, you're right, I have a picture of Nigella
on the cover of Food Illustrated (about 1-2 issues ago).  Total Babe (Beautiful
face), apparently with a mind like a steel trap.  She's the Food Critic for the
Spectator isn't she?

>Kylie

Oh, by the way, congratulations on the good news....

Drakey, dreaming of spoon-feeding duck confit & creme brulee (with rhubarb) to
Nigella on some wind-swept hill in the Dordogne somewhere...

ps. Maybe I might write a cookbook after Festival.  Yeah, who am I kidding, I
mean who'd publish me, having no sex appeal and all that... ":)~