SC - CANDYING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 29 23:00:11 PST 2001

Phillipa,

My comments were not meant as criticism, Just a point of information for
you, but more likely others, who might not be aware that there were
differances. I certainly don't consider your message to be out of bounds,
as it is often illuminating to see what has changed over time and for
various reasons, sometimes we need to take modern shortcuts.

I think I'm going to understand this medieval cooking a long time before
I understand this Passover/Jewish restrictions/Christian restrictions etc.

I can't help but think how wasteful these restrictions must have been, even
more so than today. Today, I can go to the grocery and find a great variety
of foods to use to work around a restriction and plenty of different cuisines
to choose recipes from to do it.

In period, where they seem to have taken great pains to "use everything
but the oink", you have these periods where the milk or eggs or meat
may get wasted since they aren't on the allowed list. True sometimes
they can be preserved, but I'm not sure how complete that was.

> Whoops! sorry Stefan,  You are right of course about methods.  I was going
> through my Passover stuff and and I guess I just didn't think any farther.
> Mea Culpa!
>
> Phillipa  :-)
> <<
>  Thanks, Phillipa. However this is the modern method for sugaring such
>  items. The period methods appear to vary in several ways. The modern
>  method is probably much easier. One of the primary differances being
>  that the item is dipped in the sugar solution over and over, many times
>  and allowed to dry between dippings rather than just once. I think there
>  were also some other differances. >>
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net