SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Mar 1 18:58:28 PST 2001

> Well, some of us do portray period non-Christians; I can think of
> several people who portray period Jews, and one can easily imagine
> that they, in persona, would find being forced to eat food specifically
> made for a Christian Holy Day (well, several weeks of Lent - but you
> get the drift) to be offensive.

Actually, I don't get the drift here. I mean, I can imagine anyone being
offended by anything, definitely. But Lent isn't a 'Holy Day', and it
wasn't then. It's a season. Furthermore, the different foods prepared
aren't foods that are sacred to the season, but ways of dealing with
certain restrictions. Eating unleavened bread and meals without pork would
not be automatically offensive to a Christian persona-- except, perhaps,
in Spain during the Inquisition, where Jewish eating habits could get you
condemned if you were of Jewish extraction.

How often, however, would Jews and Christians eat together in period?
Documentary evidence, anyone? I suspect it did happen, but very seldom...

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."