SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Ted Eisenstein alban at delphi.com
Thu Mar 1 21:13:11 PST 2001

>Actually, I don't get the drift here. I mean, I can imagine anyone being
>offended by anything, definitely. But Lent isn't a 'Holy Day', and it
>wasn't then. It's a season. Furthermore, the different foods prepared
>aren't foods that are sacred to the season, but ways of dealing with
>certain restrictions. Eating unleavened bread and meals without pork would
>not be automatically offensive to a Christian persona-- except, perhaps,
>in Spain during the Inquisition, where Jewish eating habits could get you
>condemned if you were of Jewish extraction.
I must admit I am extrapolating a bit here. . .
The food restrictions that Christians have during Lent, happen because
it's a period that's important to those who follow Christianity, and those
restrictions came about for religious reasons. One can theorize that Jews
would very much not want to follow purely Christian laws/customs during
a period that occurs only for Christians, just as Christians would not have
wanted to follow kosher-for-Passover laws because they were purely
Jewish, for a Jewish religious period.
If one were a Jew who kept closely to Judaism, why would you want
to follow a purely Christian custom?

>How often, however, would Jews and Christians eat together in period?
>Documentary evidence, anyone? I suspect it did happen, but very seldom...
I have no idea - but we were talking about SCA feasts, and those who follow
their personae more closely than most of us, sort of. Would a person with a
Jewish persona want to eat a Lenten-type feast, because it follows the pattern
of a purely Christian prototype?

Alban