now really OT Re: SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 7 08:04:04 PST 2001

> > FOOD CONTENT:  Most Christian modernly have offerings in the form of
> > money.  In medieval European cultures, I would suspect that food items
> > from less affluent families would have been more common than money.  For
> > those members of Catholic/Orthodox/Episcopal congregations:  think about
> > the hand-washing ritual after the collection . . . seem odd?  Methinks
> > it carries from the practices of bringing foodstuffs to the church for
> > offering.

Not quite the same thing, but I am reminded of Garrison Keillor's
remarks about the sacks of 'Christian' zucchini and tomatoes in the
foyer at church, summertime charity to those with inadequate gardens or
none at all. And if you aren't careful, the unscrupulous would slip a
sack of zucchini into your backseat during services. (Ok, I only did
that once- after I could not cope with one more loaf of zucchini bread
and had filled the pantry with tomatoes sauce and still they were
ripening...)

'Lainie
looking forward to summer vegetables