SC - Re: Inter-Library Loan

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 20:58:14 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 7 Mar 01, , that Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> OCLC = Ohio College Library Computer system [IIRC]
> RLIN = Research Library Information Network
>
> And, no, individuals don't have access to either of
> these.  They are inter-library computer systems, which
> help libraries identify names, titles, & editions and
> saves time and money with cataloging them.  My library
> pays approximately $80,000 per year on our RLIN use.

It is worth mentioning that the Library of Congress catalog is online
at http://catalog.loc.gov
It does not list every book in existence,and it does not tell you
what other libraries own a certain title, but it is quite useful.

> Thank you Brighid for such a well written post.  I
> couldn't have said it better.
>
> Huette

Thank you.  I would love to see what the academic librarians on
this list have to add about researching in/borrowing from university
libraries.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann