Charoseth was Re: SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 08:45:47 PST 2001

All right everybody, let's bring out the charoseth recipes, period or family.
My mom leaves this particular task to me since our family seder is small.  1
apple and about 1 cup of blanched almonds, both chopped fine; cinnamon to taste;
Manishevitz concord grape wine to make the mixture like brick mortar [which it
represents].

It makes a nice sort of sweet relish with poultry and meats.  It would probably
go well with pork, but who would think of that?  It has good keeping properties,
but it never lasts long enough around here to find out.

> * A plate with these 6 things on it: a roasted/boiled whole egg; a
> roasted lamb shank bone or chicken neck or bone (vegetarians
> substitute some sort of long vegetable for this); a raw horseradish
> root or leaf of some bitter green vegetable; sprigs of parsely or
> spring onion/scallion; charoseth - a mixture of dried and/or fresh
> fruit, nuts, wine, and spices (there are MANY regional and cultural
> variations); and chopped or prepared horseradish

> I hope i haven't offended anyone by posting this. I've tried to leave
> out most of the religious content. You can see why some folks have
> remarked how it would be difficult to have a Passover dinner with out
> the religious ritual part, but i think it could be done. Less
> blessing, more fressing.

LOL!  I'll have to bring out that phrase this year at myfather's famous "Evelyn
Wood speed seder"!

Selene