SC - Grewe's books

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 19:40:02 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 12 Mar 01, , that tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de wrote:

> http://www.bib.ub.es/grewe/grewe.htm

Folks, most of it's post-period, but there are some really interesting
things here.  The site has digitized full-text facsimiles of various
books relating to food in several languages.  In the 16th century
category, there is a 1593 Italian carving manual.  I don't read
Italian, per se, but I know enough French and Spanish to read the
table of contents.  It includes instructions on how to carve a turkey.
 It also includes menus of some elaborate feasts.  (Eden, do you
need a new project?)

The 17th century section includes Markham, May, Woolley, and
"The Queens Closet Opened" (Lots of good stuff on candying and
perfumery.)

The site is at the University of Barcelona, so the navigation buttons
are labelled in Catalan, but they're pretty simple.
inici -- beginning of the work
enrera -- one page back
endavant -- one page forward
anar_a -- jump to (put desired page number in search window)

Thomas, this is lovely stuff.  Thank you!

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net