SC - Re: SC mashing favas (food mill styles)

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 11:29:24 PST 2001

OK, I see the confusion.  I went looking for pictures of
food mills and found the sort you used.  I'd never seen
food mills with blades, so I thought you meant the sort of
Mouli that has the circular grating blade that rotates
within a handle and a little compartment to hold stuff
against the blade (couldn't find a picture of that,
though).  No wonder your description of the process sounded
odd!

The food mill I grew up with doesn't have blades (at least
in the sense of something that could become too blunt),
it's a pot with holes in the bottom and a rotating
"squisher" -- a piece of metal shaped a bit like a fan
blade, that pushes the food through if you turn the handle
one way, and scrapes the clogging stuff up to free the
holes if you turn it the other way.

There's a photo of one toward the bottom of the page at
http://www.thewhitewhale.com/gadget5.htm, you can kind of
see the squisher if you look carefully.

Does the Mouli type have a squisher or does it just grind
stuff between the blades or something?  I can't quite
figure out how it functions from the pictures I found.
(photo of this kind at
http://bridgekitchenware.com/cgi-bin/scodb.cgi/s=bridge&uid=11351&a=s&p=469,
if we're on the same page now)

Dana/Ximena