SC - Odd Book

Mon Mar 19 21:22:49 PST 2001

Cuoco Secrete di Papa Pio Quinto (Cooking Secrets of Pope Pius V), commonly
referred to as Scappi's Opera.  Published in Venice in 1570.  The book has
28 copperplate illustrations of cooking utensils and kitchens.  I don't know
of an English translation, but the illustrations occasionally are reprinted.

IIRC, Scappi was the cook for Cardinal Michaele Ghislieri and was his cook
after Ghislieri became Pope Pius V (1566-1572).

Bear