SC - Cow's Milk Buns

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Mar 20 16:59:13 PST 2001

Folks,

I have this recipe from YSCY and need some advice.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cow's Milk Buns
- ---------------
White Flour (five chin), cow's milk (two sheng), liquid butter (one chin),
fennel (one liang. Slightly roasted).

[For] ingredients use salt and a little soda and combine with the flour. Make
the buns.
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When soda is mentioned, I assume it's not Sodium Bicarbonate but something
else?  Can someone advise?

Also, does anyone know what the following measurements are: chin, sheng, liang?

I've been ok when all the measurements are the same (so I can do things by
proportions) but am stumpted when the measurements are all separate.  I combed
'A Soup for the Qan' with no luck.

I showed a Taiwanese guy from the office the plates from YSCY and was quite
surprised when he could read it very well.  I assume that Chinese really has'nt
changed all that much in 700 years?

Cheers,

Drake.