SC - Bidding for Feast

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 04:13:26 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/24/2001 4:15:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
upsxdls_osu at ionet.net writes:

> I just submitted my first bid for a feast.  I wasn't chosen, and I was
>  blown away by the menu that was submitted.  Especially the price.  Now,
>  maybe I've been working from incorrect assumptions.  So, I'm asking how
>  things are done in your area.
>
>  What happens if you underbid the costs of the feast?  Who pays the overage?

The group pays for the overage, and we have a talk at a business meeting on
how to avoid that in the future.

>  Does your group cover the cost of the non-paying feasters (you know Royalty
>  and their entourage)? Or do you figure your budget on paying feasters, and
>  try to feed everyone for that price?

Speaking only for myself here, I always figure some wiggle room, as
experience has taught me that Royalty isn't any better than anyone else about
sending reservations. Certainly there are "Royal Progress" events, but you
never know when they'll decide to just pop in too.... especially if they're
prone to going to events separately to cover more ground. I've never figured
on feeding the whole entourage, perhaps other more ambitious people do...
usually there's enough room for a couple of retainers, or we figure high
table for a set number. We do after all live in a finite universe<G>.

>  Do you plan to feed the servers and kitchen help for free, or do you
>  charge? What about meals while you're cooking feast? Bring a sack lunch?

First rule...You do not muzzle the ox that treads the grain. That said, I
also like to bring along munchies to share, and usually several of the
kitchen crew does too. I also find that a day spent in cooking blunts the
appetite somewhat too, so we have to remind people to eat.

>  How do you plan for price fluctuations in ingredient costs?

I've never found price "fluctuations" to be that much of a problem, nothing
has ever jumped in price so quickly that we couldn't either handle it or make
substitutions.

>  Are cleaning supplies part of the cost process, or is that handled by
>  someone else?

We get some cleaning supplies, a lot is handled by the "Nastycrat" too.
Kitchen is responsible for such things as dish soap and hand sanitizer and
paper towels, which the Canton and Barony both have stores left over from
other events we keep back.

>  Is the feast expected to "make money" for the event?  (i.e. budget set at
>  $5 per head, but charged $7.50 for feast)

Here a Feast is expected to make SOME profit, or at least break even.... I
think a $2.50 profit per head might be considered excessive in some quarters
though. Of course, some of that could be the "wiggle room" I was talking
about too I guess... but I don't think I've ever made as much as a dollar
fifty more than what we put into it. I'm sure someone in the local group on
the list will let me know if it's otherwise <G>. Remember, YMMV depending on
the Kingdom and the local group dynamics.

I think we need a word other than profit anyway, since that word pushes so
many people's buttons. I mean, we NEED operating funds, especially here, some
sites charge outrageous deposits, but people apparently think we're supposed
to cut costs to the bones and just deal with them out of pocket I suppose.
Having done that years ago in science fiction fandom I decline the honor of
financing the event out of pocket so everybody gets even cheaper eats
though... oops... turned into a rant, sorry....<G>

Corwyn

We need justice. We need toleration, honesty and moral courage. These are
modern virtues without which we cannot hope to control the forces science has
let loose among us. --I.A.R. Wylie