SC - OOP - Moroccan Bread

Sat Mar 24 20:45:12 PST 2001

Kara  (Moroccan Anise Bread)

2 teaspoons dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups hard unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon anise seed
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 to 2 1/2 cups hard whole wheat flour
Extra flour for kneading.

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
Stir in the unbleached flour 1 cup at a time.  After the flour has been
stirred into the batter, stir the batter with a circular motion in the same
direction about 100 times.
Cover the bowl and let the batter rest for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Sprinkle the salt and anise seeds on the batter.  Add the cornmeal and stir
into the batter.
Add the whole wheat flour 1 cup at a time until the dough forms a stiff
ball.
Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until
the dough is smooth and elastic.
Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl , cover, and allow to rise until
doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
Divide the dough into 2 parts.  Form each part into a ball.
Flatten the ball of dough into a loaf about 9 to 10 inches in diameter and
place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Cover loaves and let rise for 30 to 40 minutes.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F.

According to "Flatbreads and Flavors," most Moroccan breads are leavened and
vary primarily in the type of flours used.  I modified the recipe given to
match the description of the Moroccan bread preciously discussed on the
list.

My modifications were; omit the cornmeal and the anise seed and use a No. 1
durum semolina flour (coarser than all purpose flour, similar to the grind
of spelt flour) rather than the white and whole wheat flours.  The durum
flour forms gluten strands very easily. producing a yellow loaf that is
light and has a nice texture.

Dividing the dough into 6 pieces gave me loaves 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
I think next time I will divide the dough into eight pieces and make loaves
about 5 inches in diameter.  Just right for hamburgers or sandwiches.

Bear