SC - Bidding for Feast - clarification re: servers

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 26 12:18:27 PST 2001

In re-reading my comments I realized this could be misunderstood:

>>> I have never liked having servers eat for free, partly
>>> because they don't always show up.

My intention was against the situation of allowing people to sign up as servers and then not charging them for a feast ticket.  More often than I like to think about, the person is talked into sitting down with friends, which not only leaves the servers short-handed but messes up the seating.  Or they decide that since they have not paid, they can go out with friends who are eating off-side, and they don't bother to let anybody know.

My preference is to charge the servers full price, and give a refund at the end of the evening to those who actually serve.  I have seen some places offer a discount but not a free ticket.

We won't get into my thoughts about places that use small children as servers.  I know it's cute, but I've seen problems due to lack of strength, and hissy fits and other interfering behaviours.  I let children help serve, but don't want them to be the exclusive serving corps.

                                ---= Morgan