SC - Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments (Part 2)

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Mon Mar 26 20:42:49 PST 2001

At 10:08 PM 3/26/01 -0600, you wrote:
>No idea, and no, I was not offended.  I could tell that you are new at this,
>and learning.  I am perfectly happy to teach people about doing feasts, and
>have taught a class (last at WinterKingdom in January) about how to plan a
>feast, including costing.  We can work through it during a dull moment in
>the kitchen.
I don't believe we met at Winterkingdom.  They scheduled my beginning
garbmaking class during part of your class.  I remember seeing it on the
schedule and wishing I could clone myself so I could be two places at once.
Well, I had to teach what I'd volunteered to teach!  If I remember
correctly, Oxlade sat with you and talked across the hall from my class.
We were within 20 feet, but didn't get a chance to visit.

>> You've probably read some of
>> the discussion here.  Remember, too, part of the comments I've
>> received have been private.
I didn't mean people posted private comments on the list by accident, I
realized part way through the day, some had posted me privately AND on the
list.  I really wasn't paying any attention, and answered some private
posts publically.  Bear was particularly complementary on your menu, and
reminded me of several ways costs could be cut without cutting quality.

>Sorry that I was not clear, I had read four Digests (#3035 through #3038)
>before posting.  And I would guess that some of the comments were private.
>But I wanted the list to see what *my* comments would be -- not just because
>my bid had won, but to add to the discussion.

I know it seemed I centered on the cost idea.  But I'm on a really strict
budget, and can't afford to underbid, or even volunteer to cook if I'm
expected to cover meals or snacks for the kitchen help. I am trying to get
a feel for what is expected of a head cook (or whatever title you prefer).

Looking forward to meeting you.

Liadan