SC - Book Query - Food and Drink in Medieval Poland

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Mar 27 06:01:19 PST 2001

> I've come across listings for "Food and Drink in Medieval Poland" by Maria
> Dembinska in the Jessica's Biscuit catalog ($23.96) and through AddALL.com
> (less that $20 with a coupon) but neither listing mentioned if there are
> original recipes/sources in the book. Can anyone shed some light? Is it worth
> purchasing?

There are no reproductions of period recipes in the book.
The book is two parts: One, Maria Dembinska's PhD.dissertation on Food in pre-1500
Poland. That includes a number of useful tidbits, but no recipes. The
second part is by Weaver, a modern, non-academic food writer, and it consists of recipes
that Dembinska and Weaver worked on when she was alive, in attempts to try to reconstruct
dishes found in menus.

If you are interested in the history of food and in central europe, it's a worthwhile
purchase. If you are only interested in redacting pre-1601 recipes, it's not worthwhile.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"The worst thing I can say of a person is, 'they couldn't be bothered'."